Friday, June 12, 2009

A Timeless Great Gatsby with Photographer James M. Graham & Insightful Interview
















An interview with amazingly talented and thought provoking James M. Graham:



When did you start taking pictures?

I was a filmmaker first. My father handed me his Kodak Brownie 8mm movie camera when I was 12. That's actually not true- I appropriated it and asked him how to use it, and then he showed me and gave it to me. I've taken still photographs probably since I was 16.


When did you know you wanted to take erotic shots of women? When did you know it was your niche?

I've been influenced by all the great filmmakers and photographers of the past. I knew it was my niche the very first time I shot a woman who was less than clothed. From my film background, I know how to direct. It's the same for stills. Create a character and immortalize them... in my style. And most importantly-make them feel comfortable.


Where do you take your shots?

Locations that are interesting to me. I've shot in every hotel in NYC. I've shot in my apartment (although I try not too) and in my model's apartments or spaces. In the park. Rooftops. Basements. On fire escapes. Wherever it feels right.



What is essential in your photo shots?

A connection with the model. And focus.



How do you choose your models?

A gut feeling. Sometimes I'm wrong, but mostly if I listen to my gut, I'm right.



Do you ever shot color or is black and white your signature?

I do color. A lot. Didn't used to, but I do now. I know how to make color be my bitch. But, yeah, B&W is my signature...



What three words describe your work?

Filmic.
Narrative-based.
Questionable.



Who is your dream model?

Kate Moss, Patti Smith, P.J. Harvey.



What drives you or inspires you?

The need to create. A legacy that is not the easy/lazy way out like having a kid. Leaving something for the world to appreciate or not. Etching my name in freshly poured concrete, except not running away when the cops show up- actually leaving something for people to ponder...



If you could have anything in the world right now, what would it be?

No one would ever hurt anyone else. Ever. For any reason.



To see his complete portfolio that will leave you in awe and pondering visit the James M. Graham Photography website. His boudoir pictures are hauntingly beautiful and so divine. He takes his pictures from the most extraordinary angle,s. True genius.



What thoughts or emotions do these photographs
conjure up in you? Don't be shy, darlings...


18 comments:

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I think those shots are crazy sexy!!

the paris apartment said...

I love these shots, you can't tell whether they're new or from the 30's or 70's. Great interview too!

Fashion Moment said...

Delicious post, darling! Especially the photos!

FM~FP~AF

Couture Carrie said...

Fabulous interview and photos! That would be wonderful if he got to photograph Kate Moss!

xoxox,
CC

Anonymous said...

These photos make me want to run a bath, fix a dirty martini, play some slow swing music and get ready for a dinner date with Gatsby!
LOL!!!!
Lovely, truly, in the timeless sense of the word~~I agree with Claudia, it would be hard to know if they were vintage or modern photos~~I wish he could take my picture!!

xxM

Amber said...

These are so incredibly beautiful. I could just look at them for hours. The models are so gorgeous. Your blog is refreshing and original. I shall be back!!

www.janetteria.com said...

Great interwiew and beautiful photos! :)

Have a great Sunday, Honey!

XoXo

Couture Carrie said...

Wow, he has shot in every NYC hotel?! Gorgeous photos and lovely interview!

xoxox,
CC

Unknown said...

these are beautiful photographs!! i agree that the word that best describes them is 'filmic'.
xoxo
www.froufroufashionista.blogspot.com

Rae-Emily Smith said...

lovely interview and such beautiful photos!

Lori said...

Those photos have a real vintage magique going on & a tres fabuleux interview!
Merci for sharing your gifts!
XOXO,
Lori @ Vignettes

vicki archer said...

Wonderful images - especially the close ups. Great interview, I had to smile over...I know how to make colour be my bitch....
Colour shots can be tricky....xv

Fashionisaparty.com (Suz) said...

amazing pictures! that hair!
xx

Virginia de la Reynares said...

Great photos! Whatever the girl in the third photo is wearing, ITS AMAZING.

Robin Bailey said...

Just amazing.
The photos are incredible.

Robin
http://threadbearthoughts.blogspot.com/

FrenchBlue said...

How did this one get past me? I just saw it and I LOVE it!! GREAT post~
Muahhhh~
XX's

micol zanzuri said...

this photos are..... i have no words but they are incdredibl

Wendy said...

Those are great shots. I love that era's look. I would love that to come back into fashion!