Thursday, July 9, 2009

Vanity for Humanity #2~ My Parents Fab Hollywood Glamour Pad

I am pleased to share with you a few of my parent's pretty vanities and vignettes in their romantic "European Elegance" home.



  • I think this is the best time of all to share with you a little about our family history. And, I do this because I am so very proud of my parents and I love them so.





    My Mom was forced into a divorce and decided to leave her extended family and move from Pasadena to the BEACH. Belmont Shore, baby. Alone, really alone, with no money, no family, found a 1-bedroom apartment a block from the beach, gave her kids the only bedroom and made it FAB. I was 3 1/2 years old and my brother was only 6 months old. Without any child support and left with all my biological Dad's and her bills. It wasn't pretty. You get the drill. But, she got her freedom in a new place and a chance at a fresh start.




    She was a movie star to me. And, I am sure she was to lots of others! She had the BEST style. The closest thing I can say to my mom's look was a 1970's style Marylin Monroe. She had big platinum blond hair, big lips, big... I could hear my Mom coming, which was probably a blessing sometimes, with those rocking wood platforms.




    We spent many a precious day at the beach. My bro and I running around in the paradise we had. We had no idea Mom had no money. You would have thought we owned the world. We had the beach and we had each other. We were happy.



    And, to see how happy my Mom was. I was proud of her, even at my young age. My Mom and Dad (Jim) began dating shortly after. My Dad married my Mom after two years of dating and adopted my brother and I. He potty trained my brother and raised us as his own flesh and blood. Most of my close friends don't even know he is my stepfahter. He is just Dad to me. He is amazing. My Dad was in the beer industry and my Grandfather was a Minister. I know that didn't go ever well with some of the family. Our extended family was very much into the church. Funny story...



    My Dad had a work shirt that said his name on his embroidered patch that clearly said "JIM". But, my Mom being the ditsy blond that she can be ( or perhaps just a single mother in a haze and trying to get along) kept calling him BOB... Day after Day. I can only imagine what my poor mother had in her head at that time. Paying for rent, food, childcare, etc... She was a teller at the local bank and he was a loyal patron.



    My Dad would withdraw $50 each morning at the bank and deposit it back every night so that he could see that blond hottie teller that kept calling him by the wrong name, despite the name badge!


    (BTW: My Mom is sharp as a whip. She is a Credit Manager of one of the largest privately held beer distributors and handles many millions of dollars of accounts receivables and her company loves her. And, pays her very well for her hard work. I am so proud of you, Momma)


    It is such an enduring story. They have been married for 37 years. They fight (who doesn't?) they love... they are committed... they move on.... they are a magical and amazing couple that I am in AWE of each and every time I see them. They rock in so many ways. Yes, their home is ridiculous. My Mom is so talented as a self taught decorator. But, what they represent to me is more than these pictures show. They represent all the beauty that life holds.




    Thank you for endulging me in sharing my families story. I hope the pictures were inspiring. Don't forget to take a picture of your vanity and send it to Claudia at the Paris Apartment @ theparisapartment@yahoo.com for the Vanity for Humanity Charity.

    May your day be filled with love, family, laughter and all the beauty that life holds.

    8 comments:

    Ash Fox said...

    her place is incredible. i love old hollywood glamour.

    ...thank you for putting me in touch with that photographer by the way. i will definitely get in touch with him. i so appreciate all your support.

    xo

    www.tittees.blogspot.com

    the paris apartment said...

    Wow! Your mom has some collection and it looks like she was the original glamour girl! I love her bed side table and her accessories, she must be so much fun, now I see where you get it!

    BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

    Wow, do I love a good love story!

    Anonymous said...

    Yes, I see your "Fabulous" inspiration comes from Mom! What a great pad, it looks like it comes right out of a 1940's Hollywood Film! It's fantastic and your Dad must be a peach to live in such fluff & fancy!

    M

    Alicia said...

    oh.my.gosh....it's AMAZING...will your mom adopt me? i clean and cook!

    Anonymous said...

    I LOVE LOVE LOVE ur mom's bedrooms i'm decorating my guest room in old hollywood glamour and when i saw these pics i was like uhh i wish i had that and that and that!! lol its perfect!! would love to see more pics!!

    Lisa

    Unknown said...

    What a sweet, happy story. I love hearing about other people's experiences.

    PinkBalloons&Macaroons said...

    darling post :-)sweet family story!! I hope you have a fabulous weekend!! hugs!!! Britt :-)