Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A Move To More Modest Wedding Gowns? Vera Wang Hopes It Is.


As we're sure you've seen by now, Ivanka Trump wore a Vera Wang dress with short lace sleeves for her wedding to Jared Kushner. The groom wore Brioni. Today, Cathy Horyn writes about a conversation with Vera Wang regarding her work with Ivanka to design the dress.

According to Wang, Ivanka liked the gown Grace Kelly wore to marry Prince Rainer of Monaco (which was made by the MGM costume designer) and asked for something that looked as regal and was covered in lace. Wang welcomed the opportunity to design a dress that wasn't "naked and very Hollywood" and used three layers of different kinds of lace, each pieced together by hand, to make the dress.

Horyn believes this might mark the beginning of a trend for more demurely dressed brides.

"Nothing would make me happier," said Wang. "I've been doing strapless dresses for 15 years. It's tiring."

Well, I personally followed the strapless trend when I got married nine years ago. But, I think a trend of alternative necklines would be refreshing.


What do you think? Do you think brides should follow the "regal" look of Grace Kelly and cover up a bit? Or, is a strapless just as classic?

8 comments:

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

That is the prettiest dress I've seen in years. She picked a very modest dress because of the religious ceremony and traditions of the family she is marrying into. She looked absolutely stunning!!!
Marcela

Scientific Housewife said...

It is definitely a gorgeous dress and very fitting for Ivanka because she is classy and regal. I would love to see more modest dresses but I must admit that I wore a strapless at my wedding because I have nice shoulders :)

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

I love Grace Kelly's dress and as it happens it is one of my sidebar photos on my blog. So elegant!
Isabelle x

Stephanie said...

I'm all for the regal look and a more covered up wedding dress. This dress is stunning.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I ABSOULUTELY love that look! I was in love with a 3/4 sleeve lace Romona Keveza, but I got married in May in Florida. Strapless it was!

Ms. B @ Millie Deel said...

I'm definitely ready for some variety in bridal wear. I by no means think strapless should be eliminated completely as there are some very pretty strapless gowns but seeing sleeves or some type of neckline every now and then sure is refreshing!

little luxury list said...

Me! I bought a few dresses (I know,I know). My Pronovias had lace cap/t-shirt sleeves and my Monique Lhuillier was sleeveless. I loved the timeless look of both dresses. A friend's wife remarked that I was very Grace Kelly and I totally appreciated it.

I sleeves make for a great silhouette and unique look!

Anonymous said...

Wedding dresses make me feel wonderul, just looking at them!

Secretia